Mattress Cleaning & Care Tips
As most of us will have noticed, we do most of our sleeping on our mattress. It’s condition will have a significant effect on your ability to get a good nights sleep, so we need to make sure we keep them as clean and fresh as possible. Only nightmares await people who think about what can happen to a poorly kept mattress.
There are no two ways about it, the only way you can maintain top condition for your mattress is to have it regularly professionally steam or dry cleaned. Obviously there is a cost and time element that makes periodic professional cleaning less than practical so to help maintain the condition in the meantime we have some tips and tricks that will keep your sleep fresh.
Simple and ongoing upkeep is the best way to keep your mattress happy and healthy. Nothing extreme is required, but you would be surprised how often even the most obvious ideas are overlooked.
– No one ever thinks to do it but regular vacuuming of your mattress will help keep it fresh and is a great way to remove dust and mites in the short term. Even once a month will do, maybe as part of your regular bedroom cleaning schedule.
– Flip your mattress over periodically, we suggest at least twice a year. This helps maintain the springs and fabric by dispersing the pressure put on them. Plus it is good exercise!
– Change your linen frequently. We all feel suss when we wear an outfit two days in a row without changing, but we seem a lot more comfortable laying under blankets for considerably longer periods of time. It doesn’t take much imagination to work out that this can quickly lead to issues.
– Clean your pillows more than you do. For some, that will mean doing it more than once in the pillows lifetime, for others it will mean maybe after someone has been sick on one of them. But pillows are big sponges for dust and smells, getting them cleaned even once a year should be a given for any healthy sleeping habits.
SPILLS AND MISHAPS:
We use our beds for more than just sleeping, even though we often shouldn’t. Spills and mishaps are a way of life, but stains are the bane of any mattress’s existence. They leave the fabric surface crunchy and uncomfortable, hold lingering odours and at times pose serious health risks. For any serious stains we always advise seeking professional help but there are many ways you can treat minor mishaps yourself.
When there is a mishap or spill, time is of the essence. You want to make sure you start treating the spot as quickly as possible so that you can minimise any potential damage. Choosing the right treatments for your fabric is important, and contrary to what many packaged products might suggest can be done without the need for expensive supermarket products. That said, a good stain treating product, if the instructions are followed correctly, can have very positive results.
The four major treatments we promote in the use of home treatments for stains:
1. Dry cleaning Solution – White spirit fluorocarbons, Perchlorthylene. Caution: Ensure that no flame or lighted cigarette is near, and use in well ventilated area
2. Detergent Solution – One teaspoon of approved wool detergent to 0.75 litres (a half pint) of warm water.
3. Detergent and Vinegar Solution – Add one tablespoon of white (not malt) vinegar to the Detergent solution.
4. Ammonia Solution – One teaspoonful of branded household ammonia (available from hardware stores) to one cup of warm water.
The treatments are advised as follows:
Blood – Cold Water, Ammonia Solution
Urine – Dry-cleaning solution or mineral turpentine; Detergent and Vinegar solution.
Food – Detergent and vinegar solution.
Tea and Coffee – Dry-cleaning solution or mineral turpentine; Cold water; Detergent and vinegar solution
Wine – Absorbent powder (e.g. salt or talc). Sprinkle on spillage, leave overnight and vacuum next day; Clean, warm (not hot) water; Dye stripper. Dilute 50 to 1 with cold water. Caution: Do not use on dark or patterned carpet
It is important that you use the treatments in the correct order and if you are ever worried abort treatment promptly.
– Put the treatment on a clean cloth making sure not to soak too much into it.
– Dab it on the spill area. Always go a little wider as the spill often soaks in deeper than you can see on the surface.
– Allow to sit for a short while.
– Use another clean cloth soaked in cold water to wipe the chemical off the fabric. Be sure to be thorough, as remnant chemicals can potentially do damage in the long run.
– Use a dry cloth to help dry the fabric quicker by removing as much of the water as possible.
Treatment effects will vary based on the strength of the solution, severity and type of spill or stain as well as the promptness in getting the treatment started. If the stain or any associated odours persists we recommend having the mattress looked at by a professional.
WARNING: WHILST EVERY EFFORT MADE TO OFFER THIS ADVICE IN GOOD FAITH, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ACCEPTED BY KEEN TO CLEAN FOR CLAIMS ARISING FROM THE TREATMENTS PROPOSED. IF STAINS FAIL TO RESPOND TO TREATMENTS LISTED, CALL A PROFESSIONAL CARPET CLEANER IMMEDIATELY.
Taking Care of Your Mattress! Find out How?
Mattress Cleaning & Care Tips